If you are an EEA national and you want to stay in Norway for more than three months, you need to have a common basis and you need to register with the police. You must have a valid identity card or passport, and, incidentally, demonstrate that you are not going to be a burden for the public welfare.

If you are an employee from Bulgaria or Romania and have not had a residence permit in Norway the last 12 months, however, it applies its own transitional rules. Then you have to apply for a residence permit. For nationals of Bulgaria or Romania that should not be an employee in Norway, are subject to the same rules as for the citizens of other EEA countries. They can freely travel in Norway, and is obliged to register no later than three months after entering the country. Read more about transition rules.

NB! It is important that you meet physically at your local police office the day after you have signed up on the Web.


Registration with the police

Registration is done with the police, or by a service centre for foreign workers. Those who meet the criteria for registration-essentially the same as for today’s arrangement with residence permits-will receive a registration certificate in lieu of a residence permit. The registration certificate is valid for an unlimited period of time and don’t have to be renewed.

De som skal registrere seg er EØS-borgere som er

  • arbeidstakere
  • selvstendig næringsdrivende
  • studenter
  • tjenesteytere
  • har tilstrekkelige midler
  • familiemedlem og EØS-borger selv